Wednesday, November 12, 2014

babysitting with batman

Here's a sonnet I wrote last year for my creative writing class! It was an amazing experience, although I think I've forgotten more than half of the words and types of poems I learned... My memory is an unfortunate thing and I need to exercise it more. Even my stamina for reading is horrendous. It's a struggle just attempting to read a page long excerpt. 

Alright, I'm ranting now... I just promise to try to write more and that means more independent work! But here's this lovely sonnet I'm very proud of for now (fun fact: it's based on an actual experience)...

Batman shouts for Robin on the TV,
And the boy stares. His mouth opens widely,          
Allowing his ripe gum to slowly
Ooze out, with his eyes glued to the movie. 

There goes the gum, sliming its way down    
The kiddie slide. But, it moves too fast.
Before I can even try to grasp
Where the gum will stick and be found.

I lay at the bottom of the slide,
With my hair to cushion the fall of
The sticky gum. It lies above,
But stuck to my head, easy to find.

My sister brings peanut butter to
Take out the gum. I hope I make it through.

I tried really hard to make a visual to accompany this poem, but it didn't come out very well... It's actually upsetting that everything needs assistance from an image in order to be more compelling. This may be an ironic thing for me to say (being an artist with a room filled with photographs of the most mediocre things, such as a twinkie... several twinkie pictures actually), but sometimes words need to speak for themselves. Somethings are better left to the imagination (or maybe I'm just saying this, because I failed horribly at making a visual for this... who knows?). 

No comments:

Post a Comment